Friday, March 25, 2011

A Letter from School Board Candidate Tom Weber

Tom Weber asked us to print the following letter to the community.  For the record, we're open to similar offerings from the other board candidates.

Dear Friend,
Tom Weber

   
I would like to ask for your support in the upcoming Sun Prairie School Board election.  I am Tom Weber and the following is a little bit about me and why I am running for School Board.  I would appreciate your support, and your vote on Tuesday, April 5th.
   
School districts across the state are facing some very challenging times over the next several years and the Sun Prairie Area School District is no different.  I firmly believe, however, that every challenge is an opportunity to make ourselves better.  It takes creativity, hard work and a sense of unity to be successful and I know that my fresh energy, creative problem solving and ability to listen to and understand people's concerns can help us get there.
   
I have learned in both my personal and professional life the importance of fiscal responsibility.  In life there are tough choices we need to make but they need to be made based on priorities.  These priorities help us decide between needs vs. wants; ensure there is value in what we spend our money on; and help guarantee a return on our investment.  The children that our teachers are educating now are going to grow up to be the doctors and nurses that take care of us, the politicians that govern us, the inventors of new technologies and medicines, the police and firemen that keep us safe, and the people that entertain us.  We owe it not only to them, but ourselves to invest wisely in our future.
  
In my professional life I have been successful working as an engineer to find realistic solutions that increase efficiencies; make better use of space, people and resources; provide for long term growth; and are cost justifiable.  When developing project budgets I am required to provide strong returns on investment and get higher results for less cost.  Our schools are no different.  I know our Sun Prairie School District can benefit from my experience.
  
I have a vested interest in the Sun Prairie area and our schools.  I have two children in our public school system (3rd & 6th grade), I have lived and worked in Sun Prairie for the past 19 years and I started and grew a business in Sun Prairie.  I am the Cub Master for Cub Scout Pack 443 at Royal Oaks School and I am active with the parent teacher organization there as well.  I am also currently serving as a Citizen Representative on the Finance Committee of the Sun Prairie Area School District.
    
My priorities for the school district focus around the following:
  • Spending resources on programs that directly affect our children and their eduction.
  • Maintaining the highest quality and most professional teaching staff possible.
  • Providing our teachers with the resources and supplies needed to do their job to the highest degree.
  • Assure safe, clean and healthy learning environments for our students, teachers and staff.
  • Maintain a balanced budget and pay for new initiatives primarily through reductions in other areas of the budget.
Please let me know what you think, or what your concerns are.  My contact information is listed below.  And thank you for supporting me on April 5th.
   
   
PS - If you would like brochures or yard signs from me, please respond to this email or give me a call.
   
Tom Weber
cell: 608-235-0963